Rooster Chandelier - Rewire, Refurb and Install a Vintage Chandelier

My cousins found this  beautiful vintage chandelier in a dumpster/skip in Manhattan and carried it all the way over to us in rural France. I've only ever seen one other similar light fitting on line, it was on Etsy, where it was described as 'French Farmhouse Style', so it looks like this rooster has come home to his native roost.

Rewire  and Refurbish a Vintage Light Fitting



The chandelier is made of mild steel and then finished with a verdigris patina. I'm not sure of its age but looking at the sconces and the good quality of the workmanship (witness the down-sweep of the 'cage' meeting the 'perch' and the individual welding of the feathers), I'm guessing 1950's or maybe a later artisanal piece. I deduce this because it appears to have been MIG welded, a  process that only started commercially in 1948. 

Rewire  and Refurbish a Vintage Rooster Light Fitting
Looking at what we previously had as lighting in the kitchen which was a 'brass-een' mock Georgian chandelier, there was no comparison with this beautiful vintage piece. All it needed was some TLC and a replacement of the wiring. In the following I go through step-by-step of how I accomplished this.

Rewire  and Refurbish a Vintage Light Fitting French Farmhouse Style


When it first arrived one of the bulb holders and sconces had come adrift so I had to repair that before  I could start the re-wirng.  The piece that had come apart was a standard steel nut so it was easy to weld it back in place.

I had decided that the whole fitting needed re-wiring and the bulb holders replaced.

Replacement cable of suitable standard was readily available from my local DIY store as were the 5 bulb holders. 

Rewire  and Refurbish Vintage Chandelier
 

Before I commenced the re-wiring I attached the chandelier to a wooden stand base that I had made for the dressmaker's dummy. 

The first stage was to to remove the old bulb holders. I detached them from the original wires by unscrewing them from the base of each bulb holder- I did not cut the wires as I was going to need the maximum length of original wire exposed so as to be able to attach the new cable to it for the rewiring process.

 

Rewire  and Refurbish a Vintage Light Fitting

 

 

At the top of the chandelier was the hanger and short chain for attaching the fitting to a supporting hook. The power supply cable entered the chandelier at this point and comprised of a closed metal cylinder the upper and lower covers on which were removed by unscrewing the hangar. 

Rewire  and Refurbish a Vintage Chandelier

Inside the cylinder were the connections necessary to divide the incoming power feed into the five pairs of wires going down inside the arms to the bulb holders. An earth wire was attached to the inside of the metal cylinder and this I considered to be suitable to keep as it was perfectly OK when I checked it for continuity with  my multimeter.

 

Rewiring

Rewire  and Refurbish a Vintage Light Fitting
Rewire  and Refurbish a Vintage Chandelier

I had disconnected the wires from their rather crude connectors at the top of the chandelier so that I could see each pair of wires entering the square tube of each descending arm. I had decided that I would use the original wire to act as a 'pull through' for the new cable and planned to attach the new cable to the free ends of the wire at the bulb holder end and pull it through. I had mistakenly believed I could do this without needing to remove the sconces. This I soon discovered was not possible as these sconces were fitted to a threaded steel nipple which was fixed to the nut on the arm. The angle the wire was taking into the arm was extremely acute and it was impossible to pull the new wire through due to this. Thus, I needed to remove each securing nut, sconce and nipple from the arms prior to feeding in the replacement cable. All but one of these nipples were removed with the minimum trouble thanks to my trusty can of 'WD40' but one nipple would not budge and the thread of this one was damaged in the process of removal. Once all these components were unscrewed, the route for the cable was less restricted. 

Rewire  and Refurbish a Vintage Light Fitting



In order to run the new cable through the arms, I exposed the new wires at the end of the cable and twisted them into those of the old wires and taped them together. I could then pull the old wire from the top of the chandelier whilst simultaneously feeding the new cable in up through the arm. I then repeated this with the other four arms.

I now needed to make a new nipple by drilling a hole down the centre of a bolt and cutting it to length.
 
Rewire  and Refurbish a Vintage Chandelier

 
The new cable was now fed through the nipples, sconces, washers and locking nuts and the bared ends of the new wires attached to the bulb holders, which were then screwed in place.

Rewire  and Refurbish and Installing Vintage Light Fitting
At the top of the chandelier, I cut the wires to length and connected these to the connecting blocks. I then fed the new supply cable through the hangar and the lid of the cylinder and attached it to the other side of the connecting blocks. After this was done, I closed the top of the housing and tightened the suspension/hanging ring.

I attached a plug to the power feed wire and fitted the bulbs in place so I could check connections. After that was done I was ready for the lighting ceremony and the chandelier was fitted into place and wired into the house lighting circuit.

 
 
Here's the film:

 



 
If you would like to join me on Odysee then please do so through this link and I will get a bonus and you shold get some crypto too! Odysee - Organikmechanic 
 
Rewire  and Refurbish a Vintage Rooster Chandelier
Fiat lux!

If you have enjoyed this article and found it interesting then share it with your friends on social media or suchlike. Please also feel free to ask questions and or make comments and if you found this helpful and would like to support this site you can always Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com =$3.


Until next time and from a sunny day in Normandie,

Cheers, Andy

 
© Andy Colley 2021
 

RELATED ARTICLES

Wheelbarrow rebuild using pallet wood

I made a pallet wood replacement for our wheelbarrow and it served its purpose for about 8-10 years. During the last few months of life, I could see the inherent mechanical weaknesses in my version and so as the frame and wheel were still in running order, I determined...read more

Pallet Wood Dress Form & Display Dummy. Part 1

Sue is making costumes for Climb the Ivy Films in Scotland, with no possibility for fittings. Our pallet wood dress form can be adjusted for men women and children...read more

Pallet Wood Dress Form & Display Dummy Part 2

Stretching a tee shirt over the form and/or padding it out with fabric the finished mannequin also makes a great display stand for yard sales, craft fairs or for photographing items for sale on etsy or ebay...read moremore

Home-made Studio Lights from Recuperated Materials


Anyone who takes photos or makes videos especially indoors realises the importance of good lighting. Some years ago I made a floodlight using a bright, low energy bulb fitted into a reflector-lined bowl. The bowl was a plastic garden planter and the whole thing cost me next to nothing to make...read more

LED Telescope Tripod Lights from Scrap

There is nothing so sorry looking as a garland of Fairy lights with some of the bulbs diminished or dead. You feel you can't throw them away as some of the lamps are burning bravely...  The lights here are battery powered LEDs, which make them ideal for upcycling to tripod lights, as they have both the required battery pack and switch....read more


No comments:

Post a Comment